We understand that divorce or separation can be an extremely stressful and confusing experience. Our experienced team of family law solicitors can help you make the right decisions and guide you through the process.
Choosing to divorce requires careful thought and can only be achieved if certain circumstances apply. You must have been married for at least a year to apply for a divorce and only if the marriage has irretrievably broken down. This can be demonstrated by one of the following five facts:
- Your spouse has committed adultery and you cannot continue to live with them
- Your spouse has behaved in such a way that it would be unreasonable to expect you to continue living together
- Your spouse has abandoned you for a continuous period of 2 years or more
- You and your spouse have been living separately for 2 years or more and your spouse agrees to the divorce
- You and your spouse have been living separately for 5 years or more
Providing you and your partner agree the marriage is over, the divorce process can be relatively straightforward. The difficulty tends to lie in resolving practical issues resulting from the divorce such as where to live, custody of children and financial matters in deciding who gets what now and in the future.
Understandably, the issue of whether to involve lawyers is likely to be one of the most pressing when considering separation or divorce. The reality is that instructing a competent lawyer to protect your interests can help ensure that your financial position is protected.
We offer flexible payment options including fixed fees or monthly standing orders.