Money Laundering Defence
Being caught up in money laundering can have serious consequences. From the loss of your business and professional reputation, to a prison sentence and criminal record, you need to be fully aware of the risks of becoming associated with money laundering and/or terrorist financing.
Seeking specialist legal advice as soon as possible could mean the difference between a drawn-out prosecution and a quick, discreet end to the investigation.
Our Money Laundering Defence solicitors’ expertise
There are two main ways money laundering offences can be committed in the UK:
- Criminal offences associated with money laundering, such as concealing, disguising, transferring or converting criminal property (as set out in the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002).
- Failure to comply with the Money Laundering Regulations, such as not putting effective anti-money laundering measures in place in your business.
In recent years, the Government has cracked down on the facilitation of money laundering. Regulated UK businesses must comply with the Money Laundering Regulations, from estate agents, to financial institutions, to art dealers.
The requirements demanded of your business can be exhausting, ranging from carrying out identity checks to maintaining consistent monitoring and staff training. However, when a business’s standards fall short, the business and the individuals responsible for the failures can face civil and criminal sanctions, including a custodial sentence of up to two years imprisonment.
Get specialist defence advice against Criminal Money Laundering proceedings
If you, your business, or a member of your business is facing investigation and prosecution for a money laundering offence, we are here to provide practical, discreet advice and help you tackle the situation head on.
We are independently recognised as one of the leading Criminal Defence teams in the South East by prestigious client guide, the Legal 500.
We know that going through a criminal investigation and or proceedings can be incredibly stressful, particularly if this is your first offence. As well as the prospect of a prison sentence, you will likely be worried about the impact on your career, your family and your reputation.
Our specialist money laundering defence partners will work with you to develop a practical defence strategy. Our specialists have decades of experience handling complex and high value money laundering prosecutions. So, contact us for:
- High quality of legal advice designed to protect your legal rights and minimise the impact on your life
- Tailored reputation management and a high level of discretion
- A fast, proactive and responsive service
- The best achievable outcome, delivered as swiftly as possible
As well as providing expert defence during investigation and criminal prosecution, we can represent clients during regulatory proceedings and at professional disciplinary tribunals.
We can also provide clear, practical advice if you are facing legal action to freeze and/or confiscate your assets under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
Why choose our Money Laundering lawyers?
Our team is highly ranked for General Crime and Fraud advice by leading client guide, the Legal 500.
We also have a wide range of professional accreditations and memberships in recognition of our expertise, including:
- The Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation
- The London Criminal Courts Solicitors’ Association
Our firm’s independent recognition is all down to the dedication and skill of our individual lawyers. Amongst our talented team we have:
- Alan Burcombe – Partner, co-founder of Wells Burcombe, and highly experienced solicitor whose expertise includes high-profile national and international criminal cases, including money laundering, proceeds of crime and confiscation, terrorism and regulatory defence.
Alan has a broad range of experience representing clients at all criminal court levels and during professional disciplinary proceedings.
- David Wells – Partner, co-founder of Wells Burcombe and dual-qualified solicitor and barrister, David’s expertise includes advising professionals under investigation for alleged criminal misconduct. David is also a specialist appeals lawyer and can assist with post-conviction matters.
- Ravinder Khumra – A Partner with over 25 years working with leading law firms in London. Ravinder specialises in business and white collar crime, advising both individuals and businesses in a wide range of criminal and regulatory matters such as the FCA.
As part of her expertise, Ravinder regularly handles Restraint, Confiscation and Cash Seizure proceedings.
- Philip Kazantzis – Philip is a dual qualified solicitor advocate and barrister with extensive experience handling complex and heavyweight criminal and regulatory proceedings.
Both Alan and Ravinder also specialise in reputation management with considerable experience handling cases that attract significant media attention. They will take a friendly, discreet approach to your situation, helping to minimise the impact of the proceedings on your professional and personal life.
For a full list of our legal specialists, visit Our Team.