EEA Applications banner


Home / Services / Immigration Law / EEA Applications

EEA Applications and Permanent Residence

European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals and family members have the right to come to the UK to work, study or join their families. The EEA regulations may appear simple, but the law is constantly changing. It is easy to fall foul of the rules. That is people come to us to complete their EEA applications.

With the announcement of Brexit it is also unclear whether the law will change again once Britain has left the EU. This had lead to a lot of people considering making an application for a UK registration certificate to confirm their residence status in the UK. It is also worth investigating whether you can apply for permament residence in the UK. Your family members can often apply at the same time, using you as their sponsor.

Our team of expert immigration lawyers can give you advice that is unique to your circumstances. We will advise you on all the documentation you need to provide. We will alos help you prepare your application so that it meets all the eligibility criteria to fully satisfy the application requirements.

What can we help you with?

Registration Certificate

At the moment, the only evidence you need of your right to live or work in the UK is your passport or national identity card showing that you are an EEA national. You can apply for a UK registration certificate to declare your right to live or work in the UK. This is becoming more popular since the announcement of Brexit.

Applying for a UK registration certificate can be complex. We can confirm if you are eligible for a registration certificate. We can also guide you through the application process making sure you provide all the necessary documentation.

Permanent Residence

Once an EEA or Swiss national has lived in the UK for a certain amount of time (usually 5 years) they can apply for permanent residence. This does depend on how you have spent your time in the UK. Once you have obtained permanent residence you no longer have any conditions on your stay in the UK. You may wish to apply for a permanent residence card to prove your right to live in the UK permanently, particularly given the uncertainty around Brexit.

You need to apply for a permanent residence document if you want to apply for British citizenship.

Need advice on an Immigration Law matter?

Contact us today in London (West Drayton) on 01895 449288 or in Hertfordshire (St Albans) on 01727 840900 or by email.