Legal Aid Criminal Defence Solicitors
At Wells Burcombe we represent both Legal Aid (public funding) clients and privately funded clients when Legal Aid is not available. No matter how your case is funded we provided the same expert advice.
Legal Aid at the Police Station
Everyone is entitled to free legal advice at the police station, regardless of whether you are arrested, asked to attend for interview or your financial situation.
We recommend you don’t say anything to the police until you have spoken with us. Mistakes made in your police interview can have drastic consequences, including charges or worse still a remand in custody.
For 24-hour emergency advice if you are arrested call 07592 034170.
Legal Aid at Court
You have a right to a fair trial regardless of your financial circumstances. We can assess you circumstances and tell you whether you are entitled to public funding for representation at court.
You may be entitled to get Legal Aid to pay your solicitors or barristers’ costs if:
- Your case meets the “Interests of Justice” test. This means if you lose your case you could:
- Go to jail
- Lose your job
- Have your reputation damaged
- Find it difficult to follow court proceedings because of language difficulties or mental illness
- You pass a “means test” based on your financial situation. This will include the financial information of your partner, or your parents if you live with them.
Do I qualify for Legal Aid?
Contact us today to find out if you are eligible for public funding.
London (West Drayton) on 01895 449288 or in Hertfordshire (St Albans) on 01727 840900
- You will need to let us know about your case because there are different criteria for the Magistrates Court and Crown Court.
- You will also need to tell us about your financial information so we can assess your eligibility.
How do I apply for Legal Aid?
Wells Burcombe are registered Legal Aid criminal defence solicitors. Our solicitors can take you through your application for public funding.
We give our criminal defence clients a free 30 minute consultation. We can use this time to review your circumstances and we can help you with your application.
What should I do if I’m not eligible?
If you are not eligible for public funding you should still contact us.
Remember, we can represent you at the police station for free and defend you before a charge is brought. Also, if you are taken to court and found not guilty you may be entitled to claim back some of your solicitors and barristers’ cost.
We are experts in criminal defence with a considerable reputation in the industry. We work hard to ensure the best possible outcomes for our clients both in court and financially.